Volvo XC40 crowned Irish Car of the Year 201909/11/2018
The Irish Car of the Year Awards in association with Continental Tyres took place tonight, November 8, at the Gibson Hotel, Dublin.
Motoring journalists from print, online and broadcasting hosted a gala black tie event attended by Ireland’s leading car brands, importers, distributors and other motoring dignitaries.
The Volvo took the top award with its XC40 model which was also named as Irish Compact Crossover of the Year category winner.
ICOTY Committee member Bob Flavin said: “Congratulations to the Volvo XC40 for winning through from a field of some 48 new models launched this year on the Irish market.”
ICOTY Committee member Mark Gallivan said: “What a wonderful array of cars we had in this year’s competition, it was a very tight race and the XC40 is a very worthy winner.”
Tom Dennigan of Continental Tyres said about the awards: “The choices of the Irish Car of the Year jury provide a great helping hand to Irish consumers in navigating their way through the bewildering array of high tech vehicles that are launched in Ireland each year and in this regard, Continental is delighted to be associated with the Irish Car of the Year awards.”
The category winners:
- Ford Focus – Irish Small / Compact Car of the Year 2019
- SEAT Arona – Irish Small Crossover of the Year 2019
- Volvo XC40 – Irish Compact Crossover of the Year 2019
- Skoda Karoq – Irish Medium Crossover of the Year 2019
- Volkswagen Touareg – Irish Large Crossover of the Year 2019
- Mercedes Benz CLS – Irish Executive / Premium Car of the Year 2019
- Ford Fiesta ST – Irish Hot Hatchback of the Year 2019
- BMW M5 – Irish Performance Car of the Year 2019
- Nissan Leaf – Irish Green / Efficient Car of the Year 2018
- Nissan Leaf E Pedal – Irish Car of the Year Innovation Award 2019
Apart from the Innovation category award winner, the nine other category winners were all in the running for the top honour with the judging panel of some 33 journalists electing the Volvo XC40 by a very slim margin. The 2018 Irish Car of the Year award was won by the Peugeot 3008.
The Mercedes Benz Sprinter was voted as Irish Van of the Year 2019.
The Irish Car of the Year committee.
Bob Flavin, Mark Gallivan, Eoin Treacy and Martin McCarthy.